Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Talking begets more Talking!

I vaguely remember how it happened, but I know there were two attacks.

The first came Tuesday night with a call from the 2nd counselor in the bishopric. It wasn't long before the call was ended that I had an assignment to talk in church. With the usual urgency that I have written talks, I started this one late on Saturday night and went well into early Sunday morning. Feeling completely tired and uncertain if I wrote to the topic that I had been given, I slinked into bed. Sunday morning and afternoon was the first time I have been to all three hours of church in well over a year, it takes a lot out of you when you hit it all like that, but I was undeterred from giving my talk - which I had been practicing to keep awake during Sunday School. During which the same 2nd counselor called Nersey to be the 4th Sunday Relief-Society teacher. She will do great! Feeling Confident, I gave my talk, and church was done.

The second attack came later that afternoon. Instead of going to glamma's and bampa's for Sunday dinner, nersey went to visit teach as I laid back and watched some playoff action. We had a 4:30 appointment with the Bishop to renew temple recommends, which the bishop forgot about. He kept our appointment time but forgot the reason we had come. I guess when you have been in a ward less than a year, the previous bishop must be called for recommends to be issued. Not having more to talk about the bishop proceeded to tell me that I gave a great talk in Sacrament meeting. I said thank you and was about to get up, when the second attack commenced. The bishop proceeded to tell me that his counselors had given him a name for a calling and until then he had not been thinking about the name, didn't even ask, and had told his counselors that he was going to wait on it and do nothing. Apparently there was a vacancy in the Sunday School organization and it had to be filled. But if you remember I had not been to church for the full block in a while. Rather than being offended I laughed and dismissed it as though he would ask me later. NO, NO - he asked me right then. Apparently the talk I gave in Sacrament was enough to give him inspiration and call me to be a team teacher for the Gospel Doctrines class. Shocked and overwhelmed, I gladly accepted the role. It's nice to be needed, but if you are looking to be "calling-less" avoid the Tuesday night phone call; and laughing at your wife when she gets called to be a teacher.

The calling record is that Nersey and I have been 2nd counselors at the same time, and now we are both teachers. We pray nursery isn't next- one of us has to like kids enough to spend time with our little bundle on it's way.

5 comments:

Glama said...

You will be great in your assignments. Bampa and I are going to check out the Doctrine and Covenant/Church History class taught in our 2 Stakes. I know you are all shocked...but I am getting really, really tired of watching Law and Order all night long. I need to do something...Anyway we are giving it a try tonight. It might be a good resourch to a new Gospel Doctrine teacher....

Missletoe said...

Thanks for the heads up... I got the Tuesday night call this week. ...but I am actually not that worried, my talk is not that great.

Good luck with the calling! In the scheme of things, you didn't do too badly.

Missletoe said...

The blog is looking snazzy. You may inspire me to snap mine up a bit!

Missletoe said...

Nerz your eybrows look spectacular (even good enough for a spektakle). How did I let you get out of here without fixin' up mine?

Heather said...

You guys will be great!