Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Road to Recovery


I need the winter to pass by. I love snow but I don't like it after January 31st. I don't care what the equinox or punxsutawney phil or anyother groundhog nationwides says winter should/will do. February feels like it should be SPRING. I propose that New Years resolutions fail because there is no good weather to go running, hiking, outdoor swimming or bike riding and hopefully if the coming years go well - horseback riding. I know the reason that mine fail is that I go into survival mode, I don't go out to eat which requires getting dressed-up and a modicum of self-awareness - which equals the need/desire to look better. When Nersey is cooking it is fantastic. But on my own I am contented to order the pie pizza, sit back in my sleeper pants and watch my TV on DVD collections. But let's face it Scrubs is getting old, and there can only be so many surprises in watching Criminal Minds for the third time.

By now you are asking what is the point of all of this. I currently have over half of my wardrobe hanging up in a closet at Glamas and Bampas and I know they are looking forward to me getting it out of there. The big problem is that I am big; I don't fit into any of them - some I have never worn. Now comes the self-fulfilling prophecy part, with President Hinckley's passing (he was so active into old age), Bampas recent diagnosis (i'll avoid it if possible), the biggest loser weighing less than me when he started (i'm over the illusion that "I am not that big"), and looking back to my many trips down chubby snack lane. I am done!!!!

My 10 step process to overcomming fatty-ness, much like if I was addicted to alchohol.

#1 - I know I will not fit into my clothes if I do not change the things I have power to change.
#2 - I know by dwelling on the fat of the past I will be forced to relive it and carry it around.
#3 - I need to feel better about the person I once was and know I can be a Hottie once more.
#4 - My biggest fear is that my kids will think I'm santa or the kool-aide man when I wear red.
#5 - My 24-hour fitness pass will not use itself; I have to get my chubby-butt there to use it.
#6 - I am determined to get rid of my "big and tall" section. (which is mostly big)
#7 - I am determined to see my great grandkids birthday's, even if I don't remember them.
#8 - I am determined never to wear sweats as an Outfit.
#9 - I am determined to buy a King Size Bed as a luxury not a requirement.
#10 - When I die I don't want it to end like "What's eating Gilbert Grape".

And so with this, I am on a personal quest to kick the habits of ice cream, soda, sugar, and a lot of bread. I will order salads and enjoy the comforts of being regular--------ly doing things that benefit me. Without a personal trainer, nutritionist, or any other kind of "-ist" I am determined to lose pounds like crazy. I have a gym pass, a pair of running shoes, great supportive wife, and a little one on the way, and so with that I am going to do it. I will update ya'll with pictures and sucess stories, my goal is to empty bampa and glamma's closet, look and feel great and be happier. Keep in mind I have a competative spirit and would love to have anyone join me.

6 comments:

nersey said...

You can do it sweets! I promise I won't tempted you with anymore goodies. YOU ARE THE MAN!!

Heather said...

Hey Matt and Jen,
I'm so excited that you joined that crazy and addicting world to blogging!
Hey Matt I'm with you... After 3 kids it is way harder this time to loose the weight! So here goes nothing! Hello Hawaii in May and Zach's weddding I need to loose some pounds!
Good Luck!! Heaven knows I need it too! :)lol

Heather said...

p.s. you put the address wrong in your blog.. :)
www.theredlifesavers.blogspot.com

Mindurs said...

Way to be Matt - I am cheering for you! Loosing weight sucks, but it is so worth it in the end!

Anonymous said...

Matty! I'm so excited for you to loose weight. I feel like our entire family is doing the same thing to get ready for Zach and Aubree's wedding. We will all be a fit and slendor family by the time May comes! You can do it! Become regular...............ly engaged in a good cause! love you!

Missletoe said...

You GO BOY! And I am right there with you! I have "some baby phat" (not only an understatement, but also a misplace of blame) to loose.